There are two online courses for the Health and Safety Training for Licensed Child Care Providers. Each course is four hours and covers several health and safety topics and child development. These two online courses can be taken to meet 10 of the 12 initial health and safety required training topics.
Register for Health and Safety Training for Licensed Child Care Providers:
Description of Courses
Health and Safety Training for Licensed Child Care Providers Course 1 (4 hours):
- Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases (including immunizations)
- Administration of Medication
- Prevention of and Response to Emergencies due to food and allergic reactions
- Child Development (birth to five)
Health and Safety Training for Licensed Child Care Providers Course 2 (4 hours):
- Building and Physical Premises Safety
- Prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome, Abusive Head Trauma, and Child Maltreatment
- Emergency Preparedness and Response Planning
- Handling and Storage of Hazardous Materials and the Appropriate Disposal of Bio-contaminants
- Precautions in Transporting Children
- Recognition and Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect
- Child Development (school age)
Q1: How much do the online trainings cost?
There is a $5 fee for each course.
Q2: Where can I find the online trainings?
You can find these trainings with the following steps:
- Go to our Statewide Training Calendar.
- Click on the Course Title box. Type Health and Safety Training for Licensed Child Care Providers.
- Scroll down and click the Search button.
Q3: Do I have to complete each course (all four hours) in one sitting?
If you leave the course before completing all content, make sure to close the module by clicking the blue X on the upper right-hand side of your screen, so that your progress is saved. Leaving the course open while away from your device may cause an interruption that will require you to restart from the beginning.
Q4: How will I document completion of these online trainings?
Evidence of completion will be recorded and stored on an individual’s learning record in MiRegistry.
Q5: Will the online Health and Safety training cover Prevention of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and Use of Safe Sleep Practices?
No, Course 1 and 2 do not cover Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and the Use of Safe Sleep Practices. A free, online training on this topic can be found on the Statewide Training Calendar.
Q6: Will the online Health and Safety training include the required Pediatric First Aid and CPR?
No, Pediatric First Aid and CPR will not be part of the new online training modules. For a list of approved CPR and First Aid training organizations, visit: https://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-63294_5529_49572_49583-82382–,00.html. Pediatric CPR and First Aid courses can also be found on the Statewide Training Calendar.
Q7: How many training hours are the online courses?
Each course is four hours. If both courses are completed, a provider would receive eight hours of training.
Q8: Does a provider have to take the online training to meet the new training requirements?
No, a licensed child care provider may seek alternative training to meet the requirements. Health and Safety and Child Development training is available from a variety of sources. At the state level, we are offering high quality, best practice training in an accessible format.
If alternative training is taken, a provider may submit evidence to MiRegistry.